I absolutely love using up all of the vegetables in my fridge without having to throw anything away. Not wasting food or money is such a great feeling! I suppose I end up letting stuff go bad when I go out to eat a lot, but since I won’t be doing that for the next two months or so I’m in the clear. This also means that my groceries for one week of breakfast, lunch and dinner cost $15.00. Out of control.
Although today was sunny, warm and all around beautiful, I ended up making the heartiest of cold weather meals: Chili with cauliflower mashed potatoes. This meal has practically zero fat (tiny bit from the beans) and has a ridiculous amount of vitamins and nutrients from the veggies. On top of it all a small amount will feel you up FAST. It’s also carb free (if we aren’t counting veggies as carbs) so for anyone harboring a carb fear its perfect.
Veggie Chili with Mashed Cauliflower
Easy Vegetarian Chili-
If I had my pick of ingredients I would have added roasted poblano peppers, black beans and avocado but beggars can’t be choosers eh?
1 medium onion, diced
6 cloves of garlic, chopped
2 bell peppers, chopped
2 cans peeled tomatoes
2 cans kidney beans
2 tsp oregano, 2 tsp cumin, 1 tsp cayenne pepper, S&P, dash of cinnamon (adjust to taste), cilantro
1. In a large pot, sauté onions, garlic and peppers for about 5 minutes, stirring every so often.
2. Add tomatoes, beans and spices and stir to incorporate all of the flavors.
3. Let simmer on low heat for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. When it has thickened, spoon into a bowl, garnish with cilantro, and if you’re a fast eater like me, inhale.
Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes
1 huge head of cauliflower cut into florets
1 garlic clove, chopped
1. Steam cauliflower until florets are soft.
2. Put in blender with S&P and chopped garlic clove.
4. Be amazed at how much it tastes like mashed potatoes, especially if you add milk (soy, nut, cow, etc) and butter.
I got something amazing in the mail today. Can’t wait to put it to use: